LIFE | What's in My Hospital Bag?



Hi guys,

First of all, I apologize for having been missing for quite some time. Third trimester is zooming fast and I feel like I have not enough time to nest properly! (Because I spend a bulk of my time napping. Ha!). It's quite challenging for a first time mother like me, constantly researching what I need to prepare for delivery, and to discard what I don't need. Because let's face it, first child, you want EVERYTHING.

With a couple more weeks left to my due date, it is the best time for me to pack all the things I need for delivery. I try to be as minimalist and practical as I can, so let's jump right into it:

THE BAG

The bag I'm using is from a shop called G.Davin, bought in 2014 to be used as my office bag. It's cute, has tons of compartments and made from nylon so it's easy to clean. When I was using it as my portable office bag, I could fit all the supplies I need and it was really sturdy. So, I thought of converting it to my hospital/diaper bag.

BABY'S STUFF


All the baby clothing are packed in this little organizing tote so they are separated from my clothes and it'll be easy to access. When needed, my husband and I can just lift this little savvy tote out from the bag and pull what we need.


Since baby's clothes are so tiny and light, they fit in the tote nicely. However, I can't fit his swaddle blanket and towel since they are too large, but overall I think this tote will make things much easier.

I tried to simplify what I need to bring to the hospital because I'm planning to have a normal delivery and hopefully will be discharged from the hospital as soon as possible. Also, because my bag is not essentially large. So these are the baby things I decided to pack:

1. Two muslin napkins - I pack these simple napkins to be used when burping the baby or to wipe him/her after feeding. These are also nifty if you want to cover yourself up during feeding. I bought these in a pack of 10 napkins at AEON for about RM29.90.

2. Two muslin swaddle blanket - I also packed two large swaddle blankets for the baby so he/she will be all cosy and feel like he/she is still in the womb. Muslin is a good choice for Malaysian weather I think because it is more breathable and not too warm. I really like the fabric of both swaddle blankets, they are so soft! They are from Aden & Anais.


3. Towel - If you are not sure your hospital is going to provide towels for you and your baby, it's good to pack your own. Initially I wanted an adorable hooded baby towel in neutral colour, but couldn't find the one I really like. So I decided to just buy a simple, no-fuss, fluffy towel for the baby.

4. Two piece baby outfits + socks - I plan to deliver at a government hospital and was advised to bring two piece button up baby outfits by the nurses. This is just to make their job handling your baby easier, especially because babies tend to poop a lot and it is more convenient to remove the button up shirt and pants rather than slipping pooped on onesies off your baby! These are pretty cheap to buy and I got mine at RM19.90 per outfit. I also fold these outfits together with matching socks so we don't have to rummage through our bag just to keep those little feet warm.


5. Sleepsuits - It is also good to pack button up sleepsuits, and I packed two sets. They are thicker than the previous outfits and they are perfect for nighttime. I love these because they come with convenient integrated socks and mittens, so you can turn the cuff over and the baby's hands and feet are covered. Really great!


6. Going Home Outfit  - Quite obviously I want my baby to look all dressed up and adorable to welcome him/her home. And I think this lightweight, 100% cotton, sailor inspired outfit is perfect. Although I am pretty sure the baby will be swaddled, but it is always nice to have him/her dressed well as we welcome him/her home.


7. Two Baby belly binders (Barut) - This is more of South East Asians practice I think, to wrap the baby tummy with barut. This practice is to minimise gas and colic in newborn babies. The ones I pack are modern versions with velcro closures, however there are traditional ones with string closure which I will be using for my baby during confinement because it is more secure and adjustable to size.


8. Two Hats - More than just to keep your baby's head warm, they also increase your baby's level of cuteness by 1000.


9. Mittens - I pack two little mittens as the two piece outfits do not come with integrated socks and mittens. I wish they do!

10. Baby wipes -I decided to bring a small pack of 30 pieces baby wipes that fits perfectly in my bag's side pocket. Having wipes is not only making cleaning baby's waste easier, but you can also use it to refresh your face and wiping spills.


11. Newborn milk bottle - In the other pocket, I packed this little bottle from Tommee Tippee just in case we need it. Hopefully I am able to breasfeed my baby without any problem, but if that is not the case, we are ready with another means to feed him/her. Even though I am a supporter of breastfeeding, I am also a believer of "Fed is Best". I'm sure mothers everywhere will do their best to make sure their baby is fed well and grow healthy. Sticking true to this belief, I decided to be prepared for both breastfeeding and bottle feeding.


12. Car seat/ Baby carrier - This obviously doesn't fit in my bag, but it's good to get your baby's car seat strapped and ready in your car. This will save time when you are rushing out of the door!


MUMMY'S STUFF

When packing for hospital bag, I realized I focused quite a lot to my baby's stuff. Maybe I got a little too excited to meet this new person! However, you need to keep in mind that your well being is as important, especially when going through a major milestone such as childbirth. Here are the things I pack for myself:

1. Pregnancy medical record (the important Pink Book!) - This is the most important thing to bring to your chosen delivery institution. Depending to your country, you will have some sort of records to be presented during antenatal check-ups. In Malaysia, we have this little pink book that is given to all expecting mothers when we register at the public clinic. I carry this book all the time in my handbag so I know it will always be with me even if I have sudden labour or emergency.


2.  Two sets of pyjamas/lounge wear/ comfy clothes - My hospital will provide their gowns to wear, and it's a requirement to wear their gowns. But I pack two lounge wears in breathable cotton jersey material for going home outfit and spare. You want to make sure the elastic of the pants are stretchable and loose enough not to compress your tummy, especially if you are having c-section surgery.



3. Cotton robe - The hospital or your birthing center might be too cold, so I decided to pack a lightweight robe for extra warmth. This cute navy cotton robe with hot pink piping is from Cotton On.


4. Easy instant hijab - I'm a practicing Muslim so I need to wear my hijab after being discharged by the hospital. However, I don't want to fuss around with pins and wrapping long scarves. So, this lightweight stretchable, no-wrinkle instant hijab is perfect for me as I only need to pull it over my head and it'll be done. I also love that it comes with soft headpiece (or as Malaysians call it, awning!) so I don't have to deal with smooshed hijab.If you're wondering how this hijab will look like worn, here is a sample.


5. Nursing Bra - I packed a lightweight, soft, non padded bra with no underwire. It's not essentially an actual nursing bra, but it will get the job done. 


6. Underwear - At first I was thinking to buy disposable underwear, but speaking from experience, I don't think it will be comfortable . These ones might look cute, but they are so cheap (RM10 at Mydin) so I don't mind having them ruined (hopefully not ruined though..)



I also been thinking to buy pull-up adult diapers in place of underwear and pads to be worn a couple of days after giving birth. I've been researching my Pinterest and Youtube and saw a number of people vouching for the convenience of adult diapers, and I am really interested. Let me know if I should get a pack!
via

7. Pads - Usually your birthing centers and hospital will provide maternity pads, but I personally not a fan. They are extra thick, bulky, don't sit right, and don't absorb that well. These are a pack of 24 super absorbent overnight pads that you can find in any pharmacy and in any brands. For me, these are much more comfortable than maternity pads, so I really recommend you to bring these.


8. Socks - The hospital will be COLD at night! I'll bring three socks in different length and thickness so I can choose one that is the most comfy to be worn after delivery. Socks will let you sleep better, keeping you warm and cosy. The far right one is in watermelon print, isn't it adorable?


9. Flip Flops - I am not a fan of slippers. They can get too warm for my liking, especially in Malaysia weather. I bought these for RM4 at Tesco to be worn around the ward and to the bathroom.


10. Towel - My hospital doesn't provide towels, so I will bring one for myself and one for baby. If you are unsure whether your birthing center will provide one, it is best to check with them so you can pack accordingly. But I don't mind bringing my own because hospital towels tend to be thin and scratchy. A little bit of fluffy warmth is enough to elevate my mood after delivery.


11. Toiletries - As not to over pack, I only bring my absolute essentials, and pack them in travel size. Apart from toothbrush and items for oral hygiene, I also bring a bottle of shower gel, deodorant, rose water in spritz bottle, a roll-on perfume, Nivea creme to be used both on my face and body (I love multitasking items!), lip balm in that cute cupcake container, and my oil for my hair, face and body.
I don't bring make up because I generally don't wear make up daily, so I don't think it's a necessity for me. But if it is to you, try to stick to simple makeup items that won't take too much of your time and energy.



I kept my toiletries in this little pouch I got from Daiso, and attached a coin purse to keep extra hair ties.


12. Sleeping Mask - Here's a bit of a funny story. Last Thursday I was sent to the Emergency and was warded for the night because my doctor thought my water was leaking. It was around 9 PM and I was in the middle of writing this post! But it's a good thing I was detained in the ward for a night because I discovered that the maternity ward in my hospital won't turn off the light all night! I have no idea the reason behind it, and I am not complaining but it definitely made me restless because I needed darkness to fall asleep. Haha! So if you are like me and prefer the dark side, it is good to pack a sleeping mask, which I will buy as soon as possible.

via

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So these are all the things I pack for my hospital bag + the baby car seat of course. Let me know if there are things that I should bring and if I missed anything important. As a first time mom, I'm a bit nervous!

Have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment